4.16.2012

04/06/12: David O'Doherty - We Are Not The Champions (2012)

04/06/12: David O'Doherty - We Are Not The Champions (2012)


  1. Two minute offstage introduction
  2. (Please, Please) Lower Your Expectations
  3. I hope you like this
  4. Try To Think of Other Things
  5. Party Song
  6. Space cowboy, when are you going to return?
  7. My greatest party animal story
  8. Me and Shakira
  9. The List
  10. god v. the internet
  11. This stupid job
  12. My Beefs 2011
  13. The best bit on the album
  14. We Are Not The Champions
     I went to one day of last years Just For Laughs festival in Chicago last summer. It was called Demetri Martin and Friends and I went knowing that I was going to see Kumail Nanjiani, Kristen Schall, Hannibal Buress, Paul F. Tompkins and Demetri Martin. There ended up being one other comedian and he confused me and blew me away at the same time. He was Irish, he played songs on a tiny children's keyboard and told hilarious stories (sometimes with the help of said keyboard). Somehow through all of that I didn't catch his name. After the show and at home I went on twitter and was able to find out that the Irish Comedian I had just watched and been impressed by was David O'Doherty.
     I have been following O'Doherty (@phlaimeaux) ever since and have kept fairly close tabs on him. Recently, he tweeted the link for the new album on his bandcamp. This album and his previous album (listening to it soon) are only $6 each and this album comes with a bonus track that is a commentary track to play along with the album. I have yet to listen to the commentary but I will try to check it out soon. Seriously though, he's super weird, incredibly funny and somehow smart jokes sneak out as well. His songs really are hilarious, I recommend "Me and Shakira" and "Party Song" if you just want to get an idea of his "music".  He also does some standup and is a very talented and funny storyteller as well. Its probably good that he handles it that way because he'd probably be too much without the variety to break his songs apart. Really worth checking out. (097)

No comments:

Post a Comment