6.09.2012

04/26/12: Reaching Quiet - In The Shadow of The Living Room (2002)

04/26/12: Reaching Quiet - In The Shadow of The Living Room (2002)



  1. Mother You're Long Gone
  2. She Ain't Gonna Call You Back (Part 1)
  3. Pier 39
  4. Your Fish
  5. Cabin Pressure
  6. Self Portrait Hand Puppet
  7. The Fly
  8. The Moth
  9. On Gummy Worms on Dental Floss
  10. Madame Rennevfski
  11. Salad Days
  12. Split Screen
  13. Housewife
  14. Her Little Office Watch
  15. Indecent Proposal
  16. The Vowels
  17. The Crush
  18. Slow Polaroid
  19. She Ain't Gonna Call You Back (Part 2)
  20. Me and the Pea Coat
  21. Out of Live Wires and Twisties
  22. Broken Crow
  23. Dead Man's Robin
  24. Jesse James' Thesaurusical Advice
  25. Lisa Carmichael (Alan Keyes)
  26. My Prayer Rug
  27. I Beer
  28. You Choke
  29. The Comfy Chair
  30. General Disturbance
     This album is a random buy from quite awhile back that I only purchased because Why? was listed as a contributor. I wish I would have read up on it much sooner. Its actually a collaboration between Why? and Odd Nosdam; my favorite two people from the Anticon label. It is a precursor to Anticon and to their experimental hip-hop group Clouddead. It is a really strange and experimental album itself but it still demonstrates snippets of why I love these guys in a fragmented patchwork fashion. If anything, I may prefer it to Clouddead in a lot of ways just because of the absence of DoseOne. They are mostly incredibly short tracks but it has a sound collage feel that really shows why I like Odd Nosdams production so much. There are a lot of instrumental tracks, but when Why? comes in and sing/raps it leads to some of the coolest moments on this album. He raps well, and suddenly sings like a Beach Boy and continues to be one of my favorites, even from this obscure album from years before I even knew he existed. This album is atmospheric, and poppy, and droning, and at times goofy as hell, but it is a super interesting and entertaining listen that shows some of my favorites at their earliest. (117)

No comments:

Post a Comment