1.24.2012

01/21/12: Diagrams - EP (2011)

01/21/12: Diagrams - EP (2011)


  1. Night All Night
  2. Antelope
  3. Hill
  4. Working
  5. Icebreakers
     So this was kind of a good and bad discovery as far as music goes. This is the first EP from the former frontman of Tunng Sam Genders. The bad new is that word former. It seems Tunng may be finished which is kind of a huge bummer. The good news is that his new band Diagrams is really freaking good. Their first full-length has also come out and will be my next review, but lets start with this EP.
     It's incredibly easy to compare this to Tunng since Genders has such a distinct voice. He wrote all the music for Diagrams himself but the albums sound like a full band. This music has lost the folk of Tunng and kept the electronic parts. This EP has a very solid 5 songs that feel a bit more up-beat than what I'm used to from Genders. His live band has grown to 9 people and its easy to understand why. Many of the songs have strings, horns, and very choral backing vocals. I am a sucker for all these elements. I wish I knew what genre to put this in. I'll call it awesome. I love his voice and this is yet another band of his I can get behind. Definitely check it out. (021)

No comments:

Post a Comment