3.26.2012

03/16/12: Shlohmo - Camping E.P. (2010)

03/16/12: Shlohmo - Camping E.P. (2010)


  1. Naps
  2. Birthday Beat
  3. Tomato Smash
  4. Sippy Cup
  5. Post Atmosphere (Baths Remix)
  6. Spoons (Shigeto Remix)
  7. Teeth (Asura Remix)
     There has been a surprisingly low amount of information on Shlohmo on the interwebs, but the deeper I dig the more music I find by him. I'm basically working through his fairly prolific first 3 or 4 years of releases backwards (oldest releases coming soon) and his music continues to be enjoyable and for the most part distinctly him. The "Camping" E.P. was released roughly in conjunction with a deluxe re-release of his first album. It also was serving as a tide-over while his fans waited for his next full-length "Bad Vibes".
     This E.P. included 4 "new" songs and 3 remixes by other artists. New is in quotes there because "Tomato Smash" is apparently a remix or reworking of the opening track of one of his earlier remixes. I guess I'll know how different it is later. The first 4 songs are all really great. They have a distinctly different sound then his later releases. He sounded more like artists like Flying Lotus. A lot of the elements of his later music are there like the use of outdoor recordings, vocal samples, and ghostly atmospheric synth, but overall the production is a lot more beat heavy and the beats are warped in a Flying Lotus-esque way. Overall I'd describe the songs as heavier but they are still fairly chill. The remixes are all very solid as well. I don't know the originals (yet) but I'll make sure to come back to these remixes after the fact. Really cool E.P. Shlohmo has yet to disappoint me. (076)



No comments:

Post a Comment