3.26.2012

03/17/12: s/s/s - Beak & Claw E.P. (2012)

03/17/12: s/s/s - Beak & Claw E.P. (2012)

  1. Museum Day
  2. Beyond Any Doubt
  3. If This Is Real
  4. Octomom
     s/s/s is one of the stranger musical team-ups I have heard in a while. This group includes Anticon producer Son Lux, Anticon hip-hopper Serengeti and Indie Rocker Sufjan Stevens. Really weird collaboration in my opinion. I know Anticon tends to be a highly collaborative label but the addition of Stevens made me wonder what I was in for. This EP is technically a hip-hop EP but is definitely as experimental as many other strange Anticon super groups.
     Stevens has had small experiences getting involved in the hip-hop scene, but this is definitely the most intentional. He first dabbled in the genre with a surprise auto-tune break down in the epic concluding track from his last album "Age of Adz". I don't know who was responsible for what music and production wise but all 3 artists are definitely represented throughout these 4 songs. Sufjan Stevens vocals both auto-tuned and otherwise pop in and out on this album. The glitchy electronic production is really cool and I'm going to have to assume that is to Son Lux's credit and Serengeti raps over all of the songs. There were definitely some other guests included as well.
     After 1 listen I wasn't sure what to think, but after a couple more it definitely grew on me. Its a very unique approach to the genre as Anticon always seems to accomplish. Its cool enough that I'll be looking into Son Lux and Serengeti further. Im just gonna stick with this summary. Its definitely oustside the norm of normal hip-hop, is obviously influenced by different perspectives at one time, and is worth a listen. Anticon put some interesting artists together once again and I hope it does well enough to result in a full length.  (077)

No comments:

Post a Comment