3.13.2012

Women in Tragedy - My Favourite Actress

Crayon Angels


#72) Women in Tragedy - My Favourite Actress (2009)

 1. Stephanie 1
 2. xo
 3. The Urge
 4. Crayon Angels
 5. xox
 6. Infinite Space.L
 7. xoxo
 8. Gems.L
 9. xoxox
 10. Blindness
 11. xoxoxo
 12. Stephanie 2

so after my last post i decided to actually do some research about WIT and i found out, through the Plasticrane site no less, that WIT has actually released somewhere around 30 albums and that the 3 on Plasticrane are just a series of albums he recorded in the same time period. here's what the site says:

The Canadian Bob McCully is principally known for his project Women In Tragedy. With this moniker, he released more than thirty albums, splits and collaborations in compilations since 2006 till now (yes, more than thirty), always in very limited editions by small, honest, brave music labels. Anyhow, the music quality isn’t affected by the quantity of music recorded. The few releases that I had the luck to hear can be described as a sort of electro-pop music with a psychedelic attitude filtered with lo-fi garage and post-everything experiences, but the judgement on Women In Tragedy musical genos (γένος) varies from listener to listener. But in the end, all you have to know about Bob McCully’s Women in Tragedy is that you’re gonna like the music.
Some weeks ago, I was reading Women In Tragedy myspace. Bob will surely understand if I quote here his words:
Since my last post, which was in June, I have finished three albums:
Dead Actress
Dead End Trails
My Favourite Actress

The first, I’ve sent out to labels, to friends, to see what happens.
Ditto to the second, although it is more of a shorter EP and was originally intended to come out on cassette on a label who has to go on hiatus.
The third is an album exclusively made for my girlfriend Stephanie Carpanini for her birthday. Who knows though, maybe it’ll be available one day, but I’m focusing on getting the first two out.

I took contact with Bob and I’ve asked him to release these albums via Plasticrane, and he has been enthusiast since the beginning with this idea. He wrote me:

You’re welcome to release all three albums, because they were all recorded around the same time, I feel like they could work well together as Vol. 1, 2, and 3 of a series. Especially since Dead End Trails is 4 songs, much like an EP, and Dead Actress is 6 songs and quite a bit longer. My Favourite Actress is actually 14 songs and very long, it contains a lot of ambient interludes as well as some really cute pop songs. So they all are quite different albums but I recorded them all at my last apartment, which was a very dark and lonely basement, so you could even call all three albums the Basement Sessions, Vol. 1,2 & 3.



anyway, this was another cool lo-fi album and well worth checking out. head over to Plasticrane to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment