2.17.2012

02/11/12: Black Flag - In My Head (1985)

 02/11/12: Black Flag - In My Head (1985)


  1. Paralyzed
  2. The Crazy Girl
  3. Black Love
  4. White Hot
  5. In My Head
  6. Out of This World *
  7. I Can See You *
  8. Drinking and Driving
  9. Retired at 21
  10. Society's Tease
  11. It's All Up to You
  12. You Let Me Down *
*Tracks originally from the "I Can See You" EP

     Black Flag is probably my favorite of the old school punk bands. I say this despite the fact that they  have only released one LP that actually sounds like a punk record (Damaged). There are a few Black Flag albums that I used to listen to constantly, but I realized that I had barely given some of the others a chance. I have been listening to them non-stop and there are gonna be 3 or 4 Black Flag records over the next week of entries or so. I am going to jump all over the place, but I will start with their last LP "In My Head".
     This is the CD reissue version which includes 3 tracks from an EP they released 3 years after they broke up. The songs were recorded during the same sessions and are integrated into this reissue perfectly as well as being really great songs. I don't understand why I never really gave this album a chance but it ended up being spectacular. "In My Head" shows where their sound ended up before their breakup. They started out as a punk band, but as their career progressed, their songs slowed down and became more heavily metal influenced due to Greg Ginn's ever evolving guitar sound and growing talent. They had a hard time maintaining fans for the same reason but I really enjoy their more down tempo sound anyways. It is a straight-up quality hardcore record with a nice experimental touch. A really solid collection of songs to close out a too short career.
     I have been doing a lot of reading about Black Flag over the last couple days and I really didn't realize a lot of things about their career. I will probably talk about some of the facts in other posts. I can't believe they released 5 albums in 2 years. (042)

No comments:

Post a Comment