3.07.2012

03/02/12: Madlib - Madlib Medicine Show No. 4: 420 Chalice All Stars (2011)

03/02/12: Madlib - Madlib Medicine Show No. 4: 420 Chalice All Stars (2011)


  1. What Are the Medical Benefits of Smoking Marijuana?
  2. What Are the Negative Risks of Smoking It?
  3. What Alternatives Are There to Smoking?
  4. Are a Lot of Pesticides on Pot?
  5. Where Is All This Pot Coming From?
  6. So What Does the Law Say About These Dispensaries and Their Various Pot Products?
  7. How Much Pot Am I Allowed to Have at One Time?
  8. How Do I Get a Prescription?
  9. Will My Name End Up on Some DEA List?
     This is the 4th entry in the "Madlib Medicine Show" series and is a Jamaican themed mixtape by Madlib. From the liner notes....

          "All Jamaican sounds. You're tuning to your boss D.J. Madlib. Musical disc from the flick of his wrist to make you jump and twist. Madlib control the fullest. Roots. rock. reggae. Good stuff, as I would say."

This album was another musical journey through a place and theme that I enjoyed. I expected this mix to be ALL reggae, but it ended up being about more than that one genre (but still predominately Reggae). I like some reggae but I still assumed this mix would be unenjoyable for me. I was wrong. I wasn't familiar with anything on the mixtape besides a small riff or melody here and there but I was still glad to be listening to it. It's worth a listen just for the exposure to unfamiliar music. I feel like Madlib is schooling me in these genres of music in the most entertaining and A.D.D. way possible. If you don't like reggae, I'd say still give it a shot, but at the same time, I can't imagine it converting anyone.
     Yeah, I enjoyed it but its still below many other entries in the Medicine Show run of albums but that's caused by my standing with reggae and not Madlib's rad mixing skills. (062)

No comments:

Post a Comment