3.31.2012

03/22/12: Don Caballero - What Burns Never Returns (1998)

03/22/12: Don Caballero - What Burns Never Returns (1998)


  1. Don Caballero 3
  2. In the Absence of Strong Evidence to the Contrary, One May Step Out of the Way of the Charging Bull
  3. Delivering the Groceries at 138 Beats Per Minute
  4. Slice Where You Live Like Pie
  5. Room Temperature Suite
  6. The World in Perforated Lines
  7. From the Desk of Elsewhere Go
  8. June Is Finally Here
     Background for Don Caballero and my reason for choosing this album can be found in my writeup of their album "Punkgasm". This album is their third album and was their first after a 2 year hiatus. It includes the entire original lineup including Ian Williams who would go on to form Battles. I haven't listened to their first 2 albums yet, but this album apparently marked the first time that Ian Williams experimented with pedals and effects a significant amount. that fact alone makes me curious what Don Caballero sounded like before this album.
     The album was very enjoyable on my couple listens. The production is well done. The audio is very clear and well mixed. It is all instrumental and very much math-rock. I say math-rock in a respectable way. This album is almost 15 years old and sounds a lot like many bands I've become fans of in the last few years. There are similarities between the sound on this album as opposed to the later lineup as well as some serious differences. I think Ian Williams was very important to their early sound. They are one of the originals in a style of music I am a big fan of. If you like bands like Battles you owe these guys a listen because Don Caballero is Battles godfather. (082)

No comments:

Post a Comment