3.31.2012

03/25/12: BADBADNOTGOOD - BBNGSINGLE (2011)

03/25/12: BADBADNOTGOOD - BBNGSINGLE (2011)

  1. Rotten Decay
  2. Hard In Da Paint / Wow Rare
     For the most part, I've avoided doing singles on their own for this project but I absolutely had to talk about this single. BADBADNOTGOOD are a young Jazz Trio from Toronto. I reviewed their first free-for-download album BBNG earlier in the project and their career for the most part has been based on doing Jazz covers of hip-hop songs. Even not knowing a majority of the songs they've covered, I still love their music. A couple of my favorites off of that first album were their original compositions and their medley of songs from The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time. They released this single in December of last year as a preview of their new full length that is coming out April 3rd.
     All of their stuff is available for free on their Bandcamp. This single includes "Rotten Decay" an original composition from the forthcoming album and the B-side that is a hip-hop cover that they tend to play live in the few live shows they've had. "Rotten Decay" blew me away and has made my anticipation for BBNG 2 go through the roof. I tend to like their stuff that uses the piano and double bass the best. The old school analog jazz sound is so impressive coming from these kids. This song is their darkest, most dissonant and most original composition to date. It is very dark overall all of the dissonant key hits really add to the doomy feel of the song. The song suddenly jumps into the doubletime refrain that adds a nice contrast to the slow trudging main riff. The cover on the B-side is just as entertaining as their other covers and makes me wonder why it didn't warrant making the main album. That song closes with a dark fuzzy guitar riff that I hope also serves as a preview of what is to come on BBNG 2. If these songs are any indicator of what is to come, than I absolutely can't wait for Tuesday to come. (085)

No comments:

Post a Comment