2.01.2012

02/01/12: I Fight Dragons - KABOOM! (2011)

02/01/12: I Fight Dragons - KABOOM! (2011)

  1. Fanfare
  2. Kaboom!
  3. Save World Get Girl
  4. cRaZie$
  5. Gloria (Interlude)
  6. My Way
  7. With You (Feat. Kina Grannis)
  8. Fight For You
  9. The Geeks Will Inherit The Earth
  10. Disaster Hearts
  11. Don't You?
  12. Working
  13. Before I Wake
  14. Suburban Doxology
     I Fight Dragons is another Chicago band. I had discovered them awhile back via their cover of "Why Bother?" on a Weezer tribute album. The reason that cover caught my attention was their use of 8-bit sounds within their very straight forward pop-rock sound. I am a sucker for nintendo sounds and chiptunes. It is VERY much normal pop-rock but just the addition of chiptune sounds made them at least worth a listen. This sounds like a band i would have been absolutely obsessed with when I was 16. There are some very catchy tunes on this album but I can't see myself giving it too many more listens. I'm just not as into rock of this level of poppiness anymore but I'm not gonna say its bad. It's just not for me at this point in my life but I definitely understand how they got signed to a major label. They make very catchy tunes and at the very least I could see myself throwing a track or 2 on a mix CD in the future. I think this is the best way I can put it: If these songs did not have NES sounds this album would have been a complete waste of my time, but that addition to their sound brought another level of interest to their songs. Ballad-y songs like "With You" would probably be completely worth ignoring in my ears if it wasn't for the NES sounds. Still, it was definitely worth a listen. (032)

No comments:

Post a Comment