2.19.2012

02/14/12: Sleigh Bells - Reign of Terror (2012)

02/14/12: Sleigh Bells - Reign of Terror (2012)

  1. True Shred Guitar
  2. Born To Lose
  3. Crush
  4. End of the Line
  5. Leader of the Pack
  6. Comeback Kid
  7. Demons
  8. Road to Hell
  9. You Lost Me
  10. Never Say Die
  11. D.O.A.
     I only recently listened to Sleigh Bells debut LP "Treats" but I was late to this party. Fortunately for me that meant I already have another album by Sleigh Bells to listen to. This follow-up is called "Reign of Terror"and it is a strong but evolved second album. After a first listen I wasn't really sure what to think. I gave it a few more listens and it definitely grew on me.
     This album gos for more of a live concert feel as it opens with the roar of a crowd and builds into one of the most rocking tracks on the album. The production had a different feel than "Treats". The guitars were more focused and in the forefront of many of the songs as the electronic parts were brought back a bit. I liked this approach a lot as it lead to some of the more heavy metal guitar licks of their 2 albums. The other obvious change on this album was the fact that singer Alexis Krauss was involved through the entire production of the album. Her pop music roots become much more apparent on "Reign of Terror". The second half of the album brings it down a bit and they have a long section of more pop influenced songs in terms of production, tempo and level of shredding and to my surprise I still dug it. "Treats" was produced entirely by Derek Miller and lyrics and vocals were done after Miller met Krauss. Her effect is clearly heard here yet it still left a solid and satisfying Sophomore album. (045)

No comments:

Post a Comment