2.23.2012

02/19/12: Miles Davis - Sorcerer (1967)

02/19/12: Miles Davis - Sorcerer (1967)


  1. Prince of Darkness
  2. Pee Wee
  3. Masqualero
  4. The Sorcerer
  5. Limbo
  6. Vonetta
  7. Nothing Like You
  8. Masqualero (Alt. Take)
  9. Limbo (Alt. Take)
      The album "Sorcerer" by Miles Davis is the 3rd of 5 albums by Miles Davis' 2nd Quartet. This was basically during the final stage of his career in an acoustic quartet before he moves heavily into electric instruments and from what I've heard of his later recordings, he becomes much more experimental as well. I have not listened to a ton of Miles Davis, but much of what I've heard is from the later stages of his career and I'm a big fan. The version of the album I listened to is the CD release which adds the last 2 alternate takes to the original album.
     The style of their music during the time moves in and out of normal Bebop Jazz sections and improvisational sections. The album is very enjoyable. It was energetic and up-tempo for the most part but really grabbed me by slowing the tempo down dramatically on "Vonetta" and then surprising me with a closing track that includes the first singer of the recording. Though definitely included on the original release of "Sorcerer", "Nothing Like You" was recorded several years prior with a drastically different lineup and it shows. I almost didn't understand why it was there but I still enjoyed the track.
     The alternate takes included on this release were also very interesting. The 2 versions of Limbo were drastically different. Good album if you want to listen to his more old school stuff. I have so freaking many to go. (050)

No comments:

Post a Comment