2.23.2012

2/18/12: Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire (1973)

2/18/12: Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire (1973)


  1. Birds of Fire
  2. Miles Beyond
  3. Celestial Terrestrial Commuters
  4. Sapphire Bullets of Pure Love
  5. Thousand Island Park
  6. Hope
  7. One Word
  8. Sanctuary
  9. Open Country Joy
  10. Resolution
     This album was a band that I had been meaning to listen to for a long time. They were recommended to me by Mark years ago because of my love of The Mars Volta. I did some reading on these guys and they are technically considered one of the earlier Jazz Fusion bands. All of the songs on this album are instrumental and clearly combine Jazz and Rock but I would probably describe these guys as a Prog band. From what I read, they only released 2 albums with this original lineup. This is their second album. 
     I really dug this album. Mars Volta was a very solid lead in to these guys. I could see Mahavishnu Orchestra music being what The Mars Volta would have made if they were doing it 25-30 years ago. Its really just a solid music composition. The album flows together really nicely and the addition of synth and violin to the almost freeform jazz style made for a really enjoyable listen. I'll have to get back to these guys later on. (049)

No comments:

Post a Comment