2.12.2012

RLW - An Archivist's Nightmare

An Archivist's Nightmare


#39) RLW - An Archivist's Nightmare (2007)

 1. 1
 2. 2
 3. 3
 4. 4
 5. 5

some info from the cd case:
"The Nightmare has been produced as a sound feature for radio Resonance, London, in mid 2003 and was "aired" on the internet October 3rd, 2003"

notes from RLW:
"I will read the titles of the last records I got (I guess about 1000 should fit into one hour). Selected, insofar as I'll leave out those I found not worth listening to anyway. No criteria of order (therefore the title). Imagine a future archivist interested in experimental/avantgarde/underground - however you will call it - sounds of the past 21st and 20th century, trying to find a path." RLW, April 2003

"In an earlier mail I told you i would like to add some pieces of mine to the feature. Meanwhile I think this only would distract the listener's attention from the reading. Instead I will additionally read parts of my letters to you and include these recordings in the feature. This additional level of self-reflection will also be of use as an structural element." RLW, May 2003

so what you're getting on this record is a German guy reading a list of records he digs interspersed with him reading letters he sent to the dude who helped him do this recording, i guess. a more patient listener probably could have come away from this with some recommendations for some records, i am not that patient listener. i stopped paying attention midway through the 1st track, which is 13 minutes long. 
i honestly don't even know why i listened to this whole thing.
i guess this guy normally does experimental electronic stuff and he has over 20 albums out. i hate to rag on him without being familiar with his other work but this was just not a record for me.  i appreciate the experiment though,  and maybe one day i'll listen again and take some record notes but for now i'm just gonna move on and try not to regret the hour of my life this album took up.

No comments:

Post a Comment