4.13.2012

04/04/12: Just Like Vinyl - Just Like Vinyl (2010)

04/04/12: Just Like Vinyl - Just Like Vinyl (2010)

  1. Wisdom Teeth
  2. Cardiac Harrassment
  3. The Circulatory System
  4. Big Words
  5. Death of the Sheep
  6. D.R.U.M.S.
  7. Kite
  8. Epiphany
  9. No Friend of Mine
  10. Pulled Apart
  11. It's Over
     Just Like Vinyl is a band I found because of an old fairly guilty pleasure. I always enjoyed the band "The Fall of Troy" whether they were at their hardest or their poppiest. I think they got a little lumped into the whole screamo thing but they always had a more math rock feel composition wise. Frontman, Thomas Erak was a solid guitar player and a good singer. His singing ranged from a "Blood Brothers" type scream to his clean vocals that were very poppy and nearly falsetto.
     "The Fall of Troy" broke up a few years ago along with a promise from Erak to continue to make music. After that, I kind of forgot about them. I don't even remember who I compared to Fall of Troy within this project, but it made me think about them again. I decided to see if he had formed a new band yet and apparently I was a bit behind because he formed this band almost immediately after.
     It's nothing groundbreaking or game changing by any means. If you like(d) F.O.T. you'll like this band. They are fronted by Erak on Guitar and vocals and that makes them sound VERY familiar. I would have to say that this has distanced themselves further from the screamo label. They sound much more rock and roll. There are more clean singing moments and less screaming, but he has by no means abandoned screaming. There are some really cool and heavy instrumental tracks like the intro and there are some rvery proggy longer shifting moments as well. I'd probably only recommend this album to people who were already fans of what Erak does because I don't think there is too much he can do to distance himself from the Fall of Troy without completely changing it up and I doubt that'll happen. (095)

No comments:

Post a Comment